Thursday, August 9, 2012

IF.

Over the years, there have been a lot of jobs and talents I've seen others with that have made me say, "MAN, I wish I could do that."  In my mind, you should look no further than me if you're looking for that everyday, renaissance woman.  I swear, I've done it all in my mind.  But in my heart of hearts, I was truly made to do one thing in another life.

Sing.

I'm not talking about being an Oh that's catchy-the lyrics are cute-its fun to dance to" type of singer. I'm talking about a slap your mama-tell your life story-bring you to tears type of SANGA, feel me?  Besides actually listening to music, it is quite possible that I love to sing more than anything in this world.

The problem? Yep, I can't sing.  Thanks to the "Women of the Roundtable," which includes me and four of my favorite Sorors, I learned back in college how to harmonize.  They wouldn't let me join in on the singing unless I learned my proper key (you'd have thought hazing was involved) and so, I did.  We would "tweet" (that was our word for singing whenever we would sing along to Tweet's music) on road trips, to the grocery store, in apartments...wherever.  They also knew all the lyrics to the gospel songs and since I wanted to be down (they can all sing), I learned all the words too.  Thanks to them, many people today actually think I have a decent singing voice. I sing all DAY at the 9-5.

I sometimes imagine myself singing background for Anthony Hamilton, Jill Scott or any of my other favorites.  The only thing is that when it came time to introduce the band and singers, I wouldn't take the moment that the featured artist gives his background singers to display their skills. Instead, while the other background singers are showing OUT, I just slowly fade to the back until that portion of the show is over. When we're back to the featured singer, I just kind of ease back in. See, I'm just there to keep the harmony.  I don't need to be famous. I just need one good, maybe six city, tour to get this passion out of my system.

But I'm not, so I can't, then I won't but...

IF.

No comments: